What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

activate alerts when the value obtained from an API changes

Votes:

How can I configure alerts when the text obtained by the api changes, currently it already shows the UP and Down values ​​in the status, but it has not been possible for me to indicate that down is an error state

alerts api prtg request

Created on Jul 5, 2022 3:59:48 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Dear customer,

I hope you are doing great

Can you please share more information about the API you are using? and what are you trying to reach on this case?

As many details you can share will be useful.

Created on Jul 5, 2022 7:39:54 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Last change on Jul 5, 2022 7:40:09 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

I am using the Palo Alto API to notify when a routing policy changes state.

https://Firewall/api/?type=op&cmd=<show><pbf><rule><name>FirtsRouteLVP</name></rule></pbf></show>&key=xxxxxxx

This return a XML response like this

<response status="success">
<result>
<dp>dp0</dp>
<entries>
<entry>
<extended-match>No</extended-match>
<sym-return>No</sym-return>
<interval>2</interval>
<name>FirtsRouteLVP</name>
<mon_action>Monitor</mon_action>
<nh_state>UP</nh_state>
<nexthop>x.x.x.x </nexthop>
<mon_ip>x.x.x.x</mon_ip>
<mon_slot>1</mon_slot>
<state>Active</state>
<egress>ethernet1/7</egress>
<match>1455551323</match>
<threshold>3</threshold>
<action>Forward</action>
<got>6054373</got>
<type>0</type>
<id>2</id>
<sent>6210176</sent>
<nexthop_type>IP</nexthop_type>
</entry>
</entries>
</result>

and in this response i check the next Hope state:

<nh_state>UP</nh_state>

if this is Down we need to receive a notify or alert message

Created on Jul 6, 2022 1:32:40 AM

Last change on Jul 6, 2022 6:40:54 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your response and clarification.

My recommendation now is to use REST Custom v2 sensor and displays the answer in the sensor's message.

Please check the following article about REST Custom configuration: https://www.paessler.com/prtg/history/stable

Created on Jul 6, 2022 6:38:14 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.