What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor FTP

Votes:

Hello,

Since we updated our system to "22.2.77.2204+" our FTP probes no longer work and show us the error message "Start SSL negotiation command failed. (SSL/TLS not available)".

Having not found an answer to this concern, do any of you know what we have to do to make our probe work again please?

The basic parameters are:

Port = 21
Mode = Active Mode
Transport-Level Security = Use transport-level security if available
Authentication Login = Anonymous
Authentication Password = no password
Result Handling = Discard result

ftp prtg ssl

Created on Jul 12, 2022 3:54:20 AM

Last change on Jul 12, 2022 2:22:15 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Martin,

I'm happy to hear that the latest version fixed the issue. We just released version 22.3.79 today.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Sep 15, 2022 6:58:29 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

25 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

We are experiencing exactly the same issue. All our FTP sensors on several Remote Probes stopped working after the update to 22.2.77.2204+.

Created on Jul 12, 2022 1:32:58 PM

Votes:

Hi Florian and Gilian,

This is a known issue in the mentioned release. We are already working on a solution for this.
Disabling TLS and use the option "Do not use transport-level security" would be the workaround. I can understand that this might be not an option for you but this is the only thing I can offer right now. Besides of a downgrade to the older version.

This issue occurs from a change regarding StartTLS connectivity which we mentioned in the release notes for this version.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Technical Support

Created on Jul 12, 2022 2:25:26 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 12, 2022 2:27:52 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support],

Thank you for your answer, I think I'll wait for you to fix the problem in a future update.

I tried the settings you recommended but it didn't work and I haven't downgraded yet.

Created on Jul 12, 2022 4:19:20 PM

Votes:

Same for our PRTG instance. No working FTP sensor anymore running 22.2.77.2204+

Created on Jul 15, 2022 2:09:53 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

We plan to fix this within version 22.x.78.

Kind regards

Created on Jul 18, 2022 6:01:56 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix,

thanks for the update. Is there an ETA for this version?

Created on Jul 19, 2022 8:53:58 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

We plan to release the stable version somewhere beginning of August. Since we need to do extensive testing in before, I can't give you a date exactly.

Kind regards

Created on Jul 19, 2022 11:19:25 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The ftp endpoint we are monitoring does not support ssl or tls, so I changed the configuration to "Do not use transport-level security" instead of "Use transport-level security if available" but this work around isn't working. It is still failing with the error message, "Start SSL negotiation command failed. (SSL/TLS not available)".

Created on Jul 27, 2022 7:25:29 PM

Votes:

Hi Jason,

I'm afraid you will need to wait until the release of the next version. We are planning to release this version soon.

Kind regards

Created on Jul 28, 2022 2:09:17 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi. I've been having the same issue. I just updated to version 22.x.78 but the FTP sensors are still down. One is saying Login or password incorrect! (SSL/TLS not available) and the others are saying Login incorrect. (SSL/TLS not available). I've tried changing to Do not use transport-level security but that did not solve the issue.

Created on Aug 10, 2022 4:21:21 PM

Votes:

Same here. After the update to 22.3.78.1873 the ftpsensor remains down with message: Log on attempt by user ANONYMOUS rejected. (SSL/TLS not available). I also tried with both settings "Use transport-level security if available" and "Do not use transport-level security" enabled.

Created on Aug 11, 2022 1:06:32 PM

Votes:

Hi.

Same issue of mkurbel.I update my PRTG 22.3.78.1873+ but I have an error on my Sensor Login incorrect. (SSL/TLS not available) .

We wait next update maybe ?

Created on Aug 11, 2022 4:21:31 PM

Votes:

Hello,
We are still facing some problems with these sensors. We are currently on the way to releasing a hotfix while we wait for version .79 Please stay tuned for this release, and feel free to open a ticket in case you want more follow-up.

Created on Aug 12, 2022 9:29:07 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Votes:

Hello Craw
I'm sorry for the inconvenience. As mentioned before, We are currently on the way to releasing a hotfix while we wait for version .79 Please stay tuned for this release, and feel free to open a ticket in case you want more follow-up.

Created on Aug 23, 2022 6:01:37 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Votes:

Hello Tic
I'm sorry for the inconvenience this issue has caused you.
As mentioned before, we hope to fix this issue by the next release that should come out this month. Please stay tuned for this release, and feel free to open a ticket if you want more follow-up.

Created on Sep 5, 2022 4:23:49 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Votes:

Yes same issue here. FTP Permission denied. (SSL/TLS not available)

Version PRTG Version PRTG Network Monitor 22.3.78.1873 x64

Created on Sep 13, 2022 3:44:37 AM

Votes:

Would this be the same issue with Sensors for HTTPS Responding with HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error sensor since upgrading to 22.3.78.1873?

Created on Sep 13, 2022 4:35:56 AM

Votes:

Hi Leonard,

Did you already tried to use Do not use transport-level security? Regarding the other error you are experiencing, this should be a different issue. The error message 500 usually means an issue on your target device.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support.

Created on Sep 13, 2022 8:32:48 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Getting the same "Login incorrect. (SSL/TLS not available)" error on a few FTP sensors after updating over the weekend, with them working fine before then.

Updated from 22.2.76.1705 to 22.3.78.1873.

In case it's relevant, in our case none of those sensors were set to actually login to the destination FTP servers, just confirm they were responding, and that worked fine, with no password set and just the default pre-filed "anonymous" username.

Look forward to the hotfix / update coming out.

Created on Sep 13, 2022 8:57:17 AM

Votes:

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the input. We will try to work on this sensor for the next release(s).

Kind regards

Created on Sep 13, 2022 8:59:57 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Same situation as Keith: We're using the sensors to monitor if FTP is running/responding on the servers with the user "anonymous". Getting different error messages now:

- Login incorrect. (SSL/TLS not available)

- Permission denied. (SSL/TLS not available)

Further tests/information:

- This worekd fine until the upgrade to 22.3.78.1873+

- "Transport-Level Security" doesn't matter

- "FTP Mode" (active or passive) doesn't matter

Created on Sep 14, 2022 8:31:41 AM

Votes:

Latest version fix this problem. Thanks

Created on Sep 14, 2022 5:35:20 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Martin,

I'm happy to hear that the latest version fixed the issue. We just released version 22.3.79 today.

Kind regards

Created on Sep 15, 2022 6:58:29 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the heads up, I can confirm that it works with 22.3.79.2108 on our end as well.

Created on Sep 15, 2022 7:14:14 AM

Votes:

Hi Everyone.

I confirm it works with 22.3.79.2108 thank you for the update.

Created on Sep 16, 2022 9:10:29 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.