What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Meraki Health Sensor Downtime

Votes:

Could you explain the difference between "downtime" on the Meraki Health Sensor and a Ping sensor for the same device?

I have both sensors on a switch, and the Meraki Health Sensor downtime is going down very often, yet the Ping sensor on the same device has not been going down. I would think if one was down, then the other would be as well?

Thanks for your help, Rick

downtime meraki-health-sensor ping-sensor

Created on Jul 13, 2022 9:10:39 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello Rick,

The Downtime Channel in this sensor is showing down only when the query was unsuccessful.
As we poll the Cisco Meraki Dashboard API for this sensor this value can be different from the Meraki devices in your network.

You can read about the channels in this sensor in our manual for this sensor.

Kind regards,
Johannes Beyerlein, Technical Support Team

Created on Jul 18, 2022 1:59:13 PM by  Johannes Beyerlein [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That is unfortunate. I'm not seeing much value in the sensor if it conflicts with a sensor used for similar purposes on the same device. This being a health sensor going "down" can cause alarm and attention to be drawn to the device, as it should, but then a conflicting status of the device from another sensor, such as Ping, not showing it truly "down" or unhealthy only muddies the waters and wastes time and attention.

Thanks, Rick

Created on Jul 19, 2022 4:36:36 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.