What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Issue with basic EXE sensor and a powershell script to check connectivity

Votes:

i am trying to get availability of my dbase with PS script but i cant work get the right status. using the Custom EXE/Script Sensor and "tnc -computername <my SQL servername > -port 1433" what am i missing ? thanks Marcus

exe-sensor powershell prtg

Created on Jul 15, 2022 1:52:43 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Marcus,

You must need to configure output definition as it's defined in the following manual https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/custom_sensors#standard_exescript
Addionally, you need to check what is the current output of this script and you need to use the write output accordingly.

Created on Jul 20, 2022 5:02:53 PM by  Himanshu Bhatt [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

I am trying to do a simple test net connection and return an uptime or downtime response to my Custom EXE sensor.

I cant see any examples of how to get this to work.

My PS script is simply -

"test net connection -computername <my SQL servername > -port 1433" which then returns a value true or false value.

how do i tell the sensor which state to show?

thanks

Created on Jul 18, 2022 11:32:51 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Marcus,

You must need to configure output definition as it's defined in the following manual https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/custom_sensors#standard_exescript
Addionally, you need to check what is the current output of this script and you need to use the write output accordingly.

Created on Jul 20, 2022 5:02:53 PM by  Himanshu Bhatt [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok thank you , we have managed to get this working now.

Created on Jul 20, 2022 5:27:30 PM

Votes:

Hello Marcus,

It's glad to know that it works!

Created on Jul 22, 2022 9:08:37 AM by  Himanshu Bhatt [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.