What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Probe device shows error "Connection could not be established

Votes:

Hi Team,

Suddenly one of my probe device shows error "Connection could not be established (80070005: Access is denied) (code: PE015)"

I have total of 5 sensors CPU Load, Memory, Free Disk Space, service probe sensor and uptime.

All the sensors shows the above error. It was working before. Issue started 1 day ago. I have done some troubleshooting but not get fixed

Is this issue because of WMI user password expired?

Anywhere we can check the logs? I don't have much idea about WMI.

Can you suggest on this issue?

connection-error prtg wmi

Created on Jul 19, 2022 1:24:42 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Did this happen after running windows updates? Or any other changes?

Microsoft recently rolled out a patch which hardens the DCOM authentication, which can cause authentication login attempts to fail. You can try to roll back the update or remove the registry entry as described in the official document: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/june-14-2022-kb5014699-os-builds-19042-1766-19043-1766-and-19044-1766-5c81d49d-0b6e-4808-9485-1f54e5d1bb15

As first workaround you can use the following article to disable the hardening again: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5004442-manage-changes-for-windows-dcom-server-security-feature-bypass-cve-2021-26414-f1400b52-c141-43d2-941e-37ed901c769c

In addition I would like to clarify the situation here. Instead of hardcoding the DCOM Configuration, PRTG uses the System default discovery of security settings of the System. This enable users to configure the (very frustrating way to define) DCOM Security once per System instead of multiple times per application.

Created on Jul 20, 2022 9:27:42 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.