What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Incorrect channel settings for 'SNMP HP System Health' sensor

Votes:

We are monitoring multiple vCenter clusters. One of the sensors we use is SNMP HP System Health, targeting the iLO IP address of the HP ESXi hosts. All hosts have the same physical configuration (CPU/Mem/PCI etc) and firmware versions (system board, iLO, etc).

All of the sensors are configured to inherit their settings from the same parent, but some have incorrectly detected the Upper Error Limit for channel 'Temperature 34(ioBoard)'. Most have set the limit to 100C which matches the values presented as critical in the iLO temperature monitoring page. However some have detected this as 75C, which is generating false positives.

How do I ensure these limits are detected correctly? I know that I could manually edit the incorrect channels, but I want the sensor to correctly configure these channels as it has with the other hosts, because if one channel limit is incorrect there are likely to be others that are wrong.

hp ilo snmp

Created on Jul 19, 2022 1:54:21 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Thank you for the post, what is the Sensor Type you're using for this?

I would recommend configuring "Store results" if this option shows up in the sensor Settings tab,

Result Handling

Store result:

Store the last sensor result in the \Logs\sensors subfolder of the PRTG data directory on the probe system. The file names are Result of Sensor [ID].txt and Result of Sensor [ID].Data.txt. This setting is for debugging purposes. PRTG overwrites these files with each scanning interval.

With after a few scans you should see newly created Logs and might have the answer for this problem.

Created on Jul 21, 2022 2:06:04 PM by  Oscar Chavarria [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Thank you bbasml, after some research I've found that channel limits are not inherited, you can can use Multi-Edit to accomplish the desired result. How this will work is described in our manual: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/multi_edit_lists

Created on Jul 26, 2022 2:08:13 PM by  Oscar Chavarria [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.