What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Monitoring against single application

Votes:

I was wondering if there is a specific way to monitor a single application through SNMP regardless of PID?

The way i have my sensor set up now is through the custom string template against the OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2.7432

The last 4 digits being the process id, if i do not specify a process ID the sensor seems to fail or return the wrong value(s). As a process ID can change variably i would like the string name to be the only identifier for the alarm. I know this can be done through WMI or other methods, but I would prefer to stay with SNMP if possible.

exe pid process snmp

Created on Aug 3, 2022 10:36:57 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us.

I understand that you would like to monitor a single application using SNMP, correct?

SNMP relies on the OIDs to retrieve the data unfortunately. We query based on that OID and display the data received from the device.

Regards,

Miguel Aikens

Created on Aug 8, 2022 7:33:21 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Correct I need to monitor an application based on OID table: 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2 (hrSWRunTable)

The issue I am having is that the "Custom OID Table" preset does not allow me to filter based on string value (application name) and as far as i know, only application ID which seems to be an integer.

Process ID will change when the system reboots making the sensor useless. Is there anything I can do to make this work using SNMP? Due to issues associated with wmic monitoring i would like to stay with SNMP.

Created on Aug 22, 2022 12:10:42 PM

Votes:

Hello again,

Thanks for this information.

Have you tried using the SNMP Custom String instead?

Regards,

Miguel Aikens

Created on Aug 25, 2022 4:14:02 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Would this work with the OID table? 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2

I'm trying to avoid using a "hard-coded" value as 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.processID because the process ID will change once the server reboots.

Ideally i can provide just 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2 and have it return the running applications as custom snmp table does, but dictate the alarm status on whether a process name exists in the list or not.

Can this be achieved?

Created on Sep 1, 2022 12:32:53 PM

Votes:

Hello,

I believe it would be better to address this request via our ticketing system. I recommend you to send us an email at [email protected] and you can reference this KB article. Reason behind this is, we can request screenshots and using the SNMP tester to validate the response from your device when using that particular OID table.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Miguel Aikens

Created on Sep 2, 2022 4:26:04 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.