What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Error sending Report Email: Message size exceeds fixed maximum message size

Votes:

Hi team,

I have a problem with scheduled reports I have created. Some of these reports will fail to be sent via email, and I get an error ticket identifying that the message size exceeds the fixed maximum message size.

My reports contain both .csv files and PDF attachments. I don't need the PDF attachments and it's these that are increasing the size of the emails.

What is the fixed maximum message size, and can this be changed?

csv email report

Created on Aug 3, 2022 10:40:54 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello there
Thank you for contacting us. According to that error message, it appears to be an issue with the file size. With the emails.

Please confirm if small reports sent, or do they also fail. PDF files are the standard way of sending reports through email. Please also check, if you enable the option to include the data tables as CSV and/or XML? If yes, does it help to disable that?

​As an alternative, you could split the report into several smaller ones (each reporting fewer sensors).

Created on Aug 8, 2022 8:48:56 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Votes:

Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, small reports send, so I have split my required report into 40 smaller reports. I need the CSV elements of the reports, but don't need the PDFs, as I then use MS Power Automate to upload them onto SharePoint and then analyse the data via Power BI.

The maximum size of the email appears to be around 3MB - which in a big data world is poor.

What is the fixed maximum message size, and how can this be changed?

Created on Aug 17, 2022 8:17:49 AM

Votes:

Hello there
I agree with you, however, most of these limitations are stipulated by the mail server. Can you confirm with the Mail team, what is the maximum size they will accept?

Created on Aug 22, 2022 7:03:10 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Last change on Aug 22, 2022 7:03:22 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Votes:

Hi Luis, thanks for your response. We use MS Exchange Online, and the email size limit is 35MB per email.

Created on Aug 22, 2022 7:16:48 PM

Votes:

Just checking our PRTG configuration, I can see that we have SMTP relay set up for our PRTG notifications.

Would this affect the email size?

Created on Aug 22, 2022 7:24:48 PM

Votes:

Hello there The SMTP relay should not affect the email size from a PRTG perspective.

Created on Aug 25, 2022 8:04:15 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Votes:

Hi Luis, thanks for your response. So, if it isn't the mail relay, and isn't the size of our Office 365 mailbox, that only leaves PRTG.

Are there any settings on the PRTG server that we can change to increase the email size limit?

Created on Aug 26, 2022 9:03:56 AM

Votes:

Hello there.
Unfortunately, PRTG does not manipulate the size or restrictions for the emails, this usually is handled by the SMTP server.

Please feel free to open a ticket, at [email protected] in order to have a closer look at this.

Created on Sep 14, 2022 7:18:28 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Votes:

Thanks Luis, will do.

Created on Sep 14, 2022 7:22:16 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.