What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Googel Drive sensor deprecated?

Votes:

I get a ticket telling me that the Google Drive sensor is being deprecated.

What's replacing it?

I look at the page for it here here, but all it tells me is that the sensor is being deprecated.

This is a key sensor for us (as are they all). Is anything set to replace it?

deprecated google sensor

Created on Sep 1, 2022 4:58:31 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Let me check with my development team about this.

Thanks!

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 2, 2022 3:01:08 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Mike,

At this time we're still looking into how to replace this sensor. It's my understanding that this sensor will soon stop working all together due to changes Google is making with their API. I apologize for the inconvenience here. If the sensor already exists, it will not go away. You just will not be able to create new instances of it in the version where it is deprecated.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 13, 2022 3:25:38 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Thanks for your feedback, Benjamin. If the changes are at Google's end I'll look at what we're actually using Google Drive for, and see if we can migrate to some other solution so that we don't need that sensor.

Created on Sep 13, 2022 10:11:39 PM

Votes:

Mike,

There is a good chance you can replicate the information the sensor is giving you using our REST API sensor. It would take a little work with the Google API, but you would be able to poll for any data. I've got a Google Drive for personal use. I'll kick around with the Google API to see if those metrics can be collected easily.

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 14, 2022 4:20:08 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Mike,

Check out this. https://developers.google.com/drive/api/v3/reference/about/get
You should be able to use our REST APIv2 sensor to get data out of this for your accounts.

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 14, 2022 4:55:24 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Thanks for this, Benjamin. It'll take me a while to get my head around how to use the REST API.

Meanwhile, for otther reasons we've migrated some of what we use Drive for to Azure. We might just finish the job and the sensor won't matter.

Created on Sep 20, 2022 8:15:40 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.