What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PING false alarms

Votes:

I am new to PRTG; monitoring was set up by a previous administrator and I inherited it. We are monitoring a dozen devices, all of which have a PING sensor.

Lately, we have been receiving simultaneous PING alerts for two specific computers. A Ping Time OUT alert is generated as if the devices were not online and after a few seconds a Ping UP alert is sent, closing the alert. Needless to say, these servers are not offline at all and we have no known connectivity issues.

The sensor settings have not changed since the problem started and I believe they are the default values. Regardless, here's what they are:

Timeout(Sec):2
Packet Size: 32 bytes
Method: send multiple ping request
Ping count: 5
packet Delay: 5
Acknowledge Automatically: Showdown status on error (default)
Scanning Interval: 30 seconds
If a Sensor Query Fails: set sensor to warning for 1 interval, then set to down ( recommended)

icmp ping prtg

Created on Sep 12, 2022 11:09:01 PM

Last change on Sep 13, 2022 11:11:08 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Dear customer,

Thank you for reporting this issue, in order to better assist you on this case we will need to collect logs from your PRTG and sensor configuration.

Please provide us with the following information:

- Screenshot of the device configuration. - Screenshot of the device overview. - Screenshot of the sensor overview. - Screenshot of the sensor configuration.

Please make sure to capture the whole PRTG user interface (neither cropped nor resized) in any screenshot and attach them as email file attachments.

I encourage you to proceed and open a support case at [email protected] and attached the requested data for further investigation

Created on Sep 13, 2022 7:25:40 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.