What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Lookup based channels: when should sensor status become Down

Votes:

I have a sensor with 3 channels. The channel that is my concern is a Lookup based channel. I have defined the sensor with the following:

- Setting, Scanning Interval="30 minutes" and If a Sensor Query Fails="Set sensor to warning for 2 intervals, then set to down"

- Notification Triggers = "When sensor state is Down for at least 600 seconds(10 mins), perform >>HTTP call<<"

What I expect to happen:

• 1. PRTG detects that the channel has value Error -> sensor is not yet set to Down (as per "Scanning Interval" section definition)
  • 2. in 30 min the second check happens, channel still has value Error -> sensor status still does not become Down (as per "Scanning Interval" definition)
  • 3. after another 30 mins channel has again value Error -> as the 2 scanning intervals which mean = 60 minutes have passed, sensor status becomes Down in PRTG
  • 4. if in another 10 mins(defined in Notification Triggers) sensor status is still Down the HTTP call is executed

> so once PRTG said the channel value is Error, sensor had its status set to Down after ~ 60 mins and in a total of **70 minutes PRTG makes the the alarming HTTP call

What actually happens:

• 1. PRTG detects that the channel has value Error -> sensor status become Down
  • 2. in 11 minutes the HTTP call is executed Could you please explain why this happens the way it does instead of what I expect as per my understanding of the PRTG manual?

lookup-channel notification-trigger scanning-interval

Created on Sep 13, 2022 3:15:10 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Can you please open a support case? We will need to exchange screenshots and log files to assist you.

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 15, 2022 8:45:04 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.