What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

For home usage, having trouble adding Windows computer

Votes:

I'm not a networking guy and know little about it. But to keep an eye on my internet provider (speed and quality of service) I thought I would install PRTG. I see no reason to add all the devices in my house, but autodiscover added most of them. But it did not add my wife's Windows laptop.

Even though I may never do anything with this list of devices, I thought for completeness I would like to have them all listed. But it never sees my wife's laptop.

On her laptop, I set it to be a "private" computer instead of "public" and this did not help. Then I tried to manually add it with the IP address and computer Name and Account/Password but this also did not seem to find it.

I don't want to make this complicated...it is already more than I should take on. But if I'm missing something, I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks!

add-device home-user windows

Created on Sep 20, 2022 6:38:26 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

What sensors were added to your devices at home when you tried to autodiscover them?

What sensor are you trying to add to your wife's laptop?

Providing more specifics will add more clarity on what you wanted to achieve :)

If you are adding WMI sensors, be sure that the SNMP service is running on the target device.

Created on Sep 22, 2022 8:36:13 AM

Votes:

For the sake of completeness, I just wanted my wife's laptop in the list (I suppose with a Ping sensor like all the others that were auto-discovered). The other devices are mostly items like smart plugs, lights, etc. Perhaps it would be nice to know how much usage my wife's laptop is getting. But it's really no big deal. I'd withdraw the question but I don't see how to do that. Thanks.

Created on Sep 22, 2022 2:04:14 PM

Votes:

Hello Boof,

Thank you very much for your question and also thank you Spraken for your response on this.

For the sake of completeness, it's quite easy and you can need to Add a Device that has the IP address or DNS name of your wife's laptop. Afterward, you can Add a Sensor to this device to start monitoring the things that you are interested in.

Further information on adding a sensor can also be found here:
How to Add a Sensor Manually (Video)

Best Regards,
Priyanka Bhatt

Created on Sep 27, 2022 1:04:13 PM by  Priyanka Bhatt[Paessler Support] (0) 1

Last change on Sep 27, 2022 1:05:09 PM by  Priyanka Bhatt[Paessler Support] (0) 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.