What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom rest configuration does not show up

Votes:

Hi,

im trying to set up an Allnet Temprature sensor. I found an article from Allnet (https://service.allnet.de/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/318/0/allnet-msr-und-prtg (only in german)) with an .template file.

{  
   "prtg":{  
      "result":[  
         {  
            "value":{$[#0].name : $[*].value
            },
			"float":1
         }
      ]
   }
}

When i put the .template file into the \Custom Sensors\rest folder i cannot select the template in the rest configuration drop down menu. I tried the webinterface as well as the desktop app from PRTG. Is there any function to refresh the rest configuration drop down menu?

custom-sensors prtg rest-sensor

Created on Sep 22, 2022 1:47:28 PM

Last change on Sep 22, 2022 2:07:38 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Regarding the REST template, it is not necessary to load them into PRTG like it would be necessary for a lookup. When adding the sensor, the list of templates is automatically generated from the Custom Sensors\rest folder.

Therefore, I invite you to check the following:

• Is the template imported on the right probe server?
  • Is the template blocked by Windows (Unblock check box visible in the Properties menu)? If so, I invite you to unblock it and try to create the sensor anew.
  • Does the system account have permissions on the file?
    You should be able to use the template afterwards: REST template

Regards.

Created on Sep 23, 2022 5:35:57 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 23, 2022 5:36:46 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

thank you for your answer. The template is in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\rest" folder on the Server I start the PRTG Desktop App with IP 127.0.0.1 so it should be the right one.

The template File got the same permissions like the other .templates which are shown in the configuration.

As a test i copied an existing .template in the folder and renamed it but this file is also not shown in the rest configuration.

Created on Sep 26, 2022 7:20:29 AM

Votes:

I found the problem, i did not know that every Probe got its own Custom Sensors\rest folder.

Thread can be closed. Thank you for your Help.

Created on Sep 26, 2022 8:05:45 AM

Votes:

I was indeed thinking about this potential issue, I'm glad to hear that you already found it.

Have a nice day.

Created on Sep 26, 2022 11:20:35 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 26, 2022 11:20:47 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.