What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WinRM service issues on Server 2012 R2

Votes:

Having trouble connecting to Hyper-V cluster storage using the PRTG powershell sensor for WinRM.

When running "Test-WSMan -ComputerName "Server name" -Authentication default" from the PRTG server i get wsman fault code=2150858770 but if i run the same command on any of my other servers it works fine.

winrm quickconfig also completes on all servers (PRTG and Hyper-V host boxes, shows a list of listening IP's which are all correct etc. Have also tried rebuilding the WinRM config which made no difference on the PRTG server.

Have restarted the PRTG server and the services required.

Port 5985 has been allowed on the firewall and I can see the connection being made/allowed on the FW but the error still occurs from the PRTG server to any of the servers i need to monitor, the command above does work on other servers just not from PRTG, there are firewall rules to allow outbound connections from PRTG coming from the IP of the box so it can send the request, I'm wondering i need to have inbound too?

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful, its likely I've missed something as this was working before but we recently changed the IP of the PRTG server to a new subnet, from .7 to .11.

Thanks in advance.

cluster-storage hyper-v prtg sensor winrm ws-management

Created on Sep 27, 2022 11:28:09 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Can you confirm that you recently installed this Windows Update KB5014754?

Microsoft recently rolled out a patch which hardens the DCOM authentication, which can cause authentication login attempts to fail. You can try to roll back the update or remove the registry entry as described in the official document: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/june-14-2022-kb5014699-os-builds-19042-1766-19043-1766-and-19044-1766-5c81d49d-0b6e-4808-9485-1f54e5d1bb15

As first workaround you can use the following article to disable the hardening again: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5004442-manage-changes-for-windows-dcom-server-security-feature-bypass-cve-2021-26414-f1400b52-c141-43d2-941e-37ed901c769c

In addition I would like to clarify the situation here. Instead of hardcoding the DCOM Configuration, PRTG uses the System default discovery of security settings of the System. This enable users to configure the (very frustrating way to define) DCOM Security once per System instead of multiple times per application. As long as the underlying system is configured correctly, PRTG can work with all security levels. In the first couple of iteration for the bespoke hardening, due to our inhouse testing and many customer reports, Microsoft seemed to have messed up the default discovery and therefore the System PRTG used didn't work out correctly. This has been silently fixed by Microsoft with one of the patches from the September or Oktober 2021 security update packets. In a fully updated and correctly configured environment, PRTG and WMI work flawlessly with the higher security levels. For this both Systems, the system of the PRTG Probe and the target must be configured correctly appropriate to the chosen security level (via dcomcnfg.exe). Which we tested with different OS Combinations and a couple of customers. image This whole situation brings us to the stand, that PRTG is prepared for the changes to go fully live without any changes needed. We are aware, that customer may face problems with inconsistently applied patches through their infrastructure. This is caused by an outside factor, so we concluded to not be able to do much about it. Configuring the DCOM Settings per Device target is not an sufficient solution and would make the whole system much more brittle and even would open up new vulnerability path's. Customer with major problems due to update processes can install a second remote probe with a different DCOM configuration and move/copy devices if really necessary.

Hope this gives you a better understanding what Microsoft did to the authentication and how to set the packet integrity correctly per host. Or to consider rolling back the update.

Created on Sep 30, 2022 8:46:09 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.