What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SQL Monitoring Performance Issues with Latest .net

Votes:

Has anyone noticed significant performance issues with the response times from the SQL Probe since the latest upgrade of .net?

We applied the latest micrsoft patches to the PRTG server and noticed significant changes in both the SQL Probe Execution time and the Query Execution time. Gong from an average of 30ms to over 140ms. This happened to both SQL servers we were monitoring and there is no change in tcp/tcp reponse times. Only common thread appears to be the upgrade of .net

-net probe sql

Created on Oct 12, 2022 10:04:52 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Can you verify for me which version of .NET you were running, and which version you upgraded to?

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 14, 2022 2:19:54 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I believe the version running before was KB5016592

The current version with the degraded performance for .net execution time appears to be the lastest .net cumulative update KB5017500 and KB5017858 which i believe is .net 4.8.9037.0

Created on Oct 17, 2022 11:19:52 PM

Votes:

Ali,

Would you be in a position to rollback the .NET upgrade, and see if that restores the sensor functionality?

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 18, 2022 5:36:58 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I tried to find any instructions on how to rollback the .net and wasn't able to find anything to do that. I looked for uninstall options for the windows update and it wasn't available either. If you are able to provide instructions, I would be happy to try it.

The client is running on windows 10 pro 21H2

Created on Oct 20, 2022 3:44:57 PM

Votes:

Ali,

I would start by uninstalling the existing .NET updates, until you get to 3.5. I think that one is required by Windows in order to function. From there, you can install .NET 4.7.2 which is the version that PRTG needs to have installed.

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 24, 2022 3:48:01 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Windows 10 and later do not allow for uninstall of the latest .net librarries. If you have manual procedures on how to do this, it would be appreciated.

Created on Oct 24, 2022 6:12:03 PM

Votes:

Ali,

I would try using this tool, .NET Uninstall Tool.

Let me know if this works.

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 25, 2022 3:54:34 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

The tool you are recommending does not work on the .net version that ships or is installed with he OS.

"On Windows, the tool can only uninstall SDKs and runtimes that were installed using one of the following installers:

The .NET SDK and runtime installer. The Visual Studio installer in versions earlier than Visual Studio 2019 version 16.3."

If PRTG is that .net specific should it come with its own .net redistributable package and point to it instead of the default os installation. Right now the SQL probe is of little value until this is fixed. Not sure how many other people are using this sensor if I am the only one reporting it.

Created on Oct 26, 2022 10:24:15 PM

Votes:

Ali,

I'm at a loss as to how why you cannot downgrade the .NET Framework here. While I understand that tool wouldn't work with the framework the OS shipped with, you've upgraded it numerous times. I was thinking the tool would roll back the upgrades. For PRTG 4.7.2 is the minimum required at this time. To my knowledge no one else has reported this.

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 28, 2022 9:07:25 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Giving up on this for now, someone at Paessler needs to test the MS SQL server monitoring agent using the latest version of .net and update this sensor to work correctly.

Created on Nov 4, 2022 6:10:02 PM

Votes:

Ali,

I'll check with my devs to see if this has been tested. If it has not, I'll ask that it be looked into.

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 8, 2022 3:18:31 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.