What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Unauthorized deactivation of lookup

Votes:

Hi all!
PRTG is so convenient and simple that the need to ask a question arises very rarely. However, this is the situation right now.

In my case, there is a completely ordinary sensor created using oidlib. The sensor has several channels. This is the monitoring of the UPS by APC.

There is one rather interesting channel that provides negative values for statuses, and positive values for knowing the efficiency factor. I used KB and set up a lookup like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <ValueLookup id="deltinos.apc_output_kpd.ua" desiredValue="90" undefinedState="Warning">
    <Lookups>
      <Range state="Warning" from="-1" to="-1">
		Результат недоступний
	  </Range>
	  <Range state="Warning" from="-2" to="-2">
		Замале навантаження
	  </Range>
	  <Range state="Warning" from="-3" to="-3">
		Вихід вимкнено
	  </Range>
	  <Range state="Warning" from="-4" to="-4">
		Живлення від батареї
	  </Range>
	  <Range state="Warning" from="-5" to="-5">
		У режимі байпасу
	  </Range>
	  <Range state="Warning" from="-6" to="-6">
		Заряджання АКБ
	  </Range>
	  <Range state="Warning" from="-7" to="-7">
		Аварія входу
	  </Range>
	  <Range state="Warning" from="0" to="0">
		ККД дорівнює 0%
	  </Range>
	  <Range state="Ok" from="1" to="1000">
		ККД в нормі
	  </Range>
	  <Range state="Error" from="1001" to="10000">
		Неможливе значення ККД
	  </Range>
    </Lookups>
  </ValueLookup>

So, I created a lookup, read the files, and then I was able to assign this lookup to the desired channel.

The problem is that this lookup works for the first data update. After updating the data (even if the value has not changed) it is reset and I have to assign it again.

My version of PRTG is 19.4.54.1506+. If it matters, monitoring is performed from a remote probe.

OS of the server and a probe - Microsoft Windows Server 2016.

Updates have been installed recently.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 on the server and remote probe.

The server and the remote probe are virtual PCs located on different physical vmware servers.

apc lookup lookups prtg range

Created on Oct 26, 2022 3:38:28 PM

Last change on Oct 28, 2022 11:17:45 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

do you configure the channel, like on other sensors, through the channel configuration (when you click the channel gauge?) If so, please use instead the sensor's Settings tab for this particular sensor type.

Otherwise, the sensor settings overwrite the channel settings with the next sensor scan. This is an exception with this particular sensor type.

Created on Nov 2, 2022 10:32:14 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

10 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

with this sensor type, if you open the sensor, is it perhaps an SNMP Custom Advanced sensor?

If that is the case, the lookup has to be set through the sensor's Settings page.

Created on Oct 28, 2022 1:43:30 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Arne Seifert! Thanks for the answer.

No, it's a "SNMP Library" sensor. In the settings of the sensor itself, there is no way to select a lookup, I checked this before writing a post.

I have no way other than editing the channels themselves.

Created on Oct 28, 2022 1:55:22 PM

Votes:

Hello,

the question here would be which version of PRTG are you using.

Created on Oct 31, 2022 12:38:09 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So this is a problem in version 19.4.54.1506+? Has this problem been fixed in newer versions? Is it known and understood, or is it just quess?

Created on Oct 31, 2022 2:21:26 PM

Votes:

Hello,

in that version (and newer releases), SNMP Library sensors should become one of the SNMP Custom sensors upon creation, meaning if it is Custom Advanced, channels should be configurable through the Settings tab.

Created on Nov 1, 2022 10:14:55 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello.

I already clarified that this is not a custom SNMP sensor. Or I misunderstand you.

Here is a link to my google drive, there are two pictures: which sensor I chose and its settings. There are no lookups. Only in the channel settings.

PRTG Folder on my Google Drive

What should I do in my situation? Do I need to create a different type of sensor?

Created on Nov 1, 2022 10:49:46 AM

Votes:

Hello,

this is the correct sensor. As the unit type, please select the "lookup".

Created on Nov 1, 2022 1:07:09 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I did just that! This is exactly where my problem lies.

First I create a sensor, everything is fine. Then I set up the channel, choose the lookup I need.

After that, the sensor looks the way I need.

BUT!!! After the first data update in this channel, the lookup disappears from the channel settings. It disappears by itself.

After that, I once again go to the channel settings, I see "null" instead of my lookup.

I set it up again, and after the first update of the data, the story repeats itself.

Created on Nov 1, 2022 3:11:19 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

do you configure the channel, like on other sensors, through the channel configuration (when you click the channel gauge?) If so, please use instead the sensor's Settings tab for this particular sensor type.

Otherwise, the sensor settings overwrite the channel settings with the next sensor scan. This is an exception with this particular sensor type.

Created on Nov 2, 2022 10:32:14 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Finally, I figured out what needed to be done. I misunderstood your explanations.

I expected to see in the sensor settings the possibility of choosing a lookup. It turned out that it was necessary to specify the type of units of measurement as lookup, and then the opportunity to set the lookup appears.

This turned out to be not entirely obvious, I expected to immediately see the necessary fields.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Created on Nov 2, 2022 11:13:18 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.