What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG & Matrikon OPC Explorer

Votes:

Hello!

I would like to use PRTG in order to monitor in real time the values of OPC variables; in particular, for some applications of my company, we have remote servers in which Matrikon OPC Explorer is installed (see here https://www.matrikonopc.com/opc-ua/products/opc-ua-explorer.aspx).

The idea is that Matrikon client linked above gives you the possibility to connect with one (or more) OPC servers and, once the connection is completed, the user can choose the OPC variables to monitor (represented by TAGs). We are interested to monitor the quality, the value and the timestamp of the selected TAGs/OPC variables.

What I can't understand is if this is already possible with the native sensor of PRTG for OPC server (and if it so, how it should be configured) or if the only way is to create a custom sensor (and, in this case, do you have any ideas or suggestions to provide me?).

Thanks a lot for your attention!

And

matrikon opc sensor

Created on Oct 28, 2022 8:15:12 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi And,

Have you taken a look at the OPC UA Custom Sensor?

If that doesn't meet your requirements, can you explain a little more what exactly you are trying to monitor? Is this a node with the NodeClass type Variable?

At the moment, if you set up the OPC UA Custom Sensor you should be able to read the value of a node if it returns one of the data types listed here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/89236-which-opc-ua-data-types-does-the-opc-ua-custom-sensor-support

Unfortunately pulling the timestamp from those entries is not possible though.

Created on Nov 2, 2022 10:23:50 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.