What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG probe server migration after crash

Votes:

We have the following situation.

Using PRTG Network Monitor with our own hosting server.

A management server got encrypted on which a PRTG probe was installed. No backups of that server. Still see the old environment on our prtg console from the old probe.

So I have the following question. Is it possible to transfer all the sensors/data from the old probe to a fresh installed probe without GID? Can we recover the GID from somewhere or will we need to install this probe and re-add the devices/sensors? Or is it possible someway else?

Thanks for your time

Kind regards

migrate probe prtgnetworkmonitor

Created on Nov 7, 2022 1:08:15 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

the quickest way to restore the probe would be:

- Install a new probe, confirm it in PRTG - Use the "Management" tab of the PRTG device tree view to move the objects from the old probe to the new. - Note that the 'probe device' object cannot be moved, but the other parts can

Created on Nov 8, 2022 12:24:34 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Was using the desktop version and didn't see the 'management' option. I presume this isn't integrated yet or I'm looking over it. Went to our prtg web portal and found it there. Transferred everything successfully from the old probe to the new one. Thanks for your time and response Arne

Created on Nov 14, 2022 7:54:48 AM

Votes:

Hello,

in the client, you can use Ctrl-X for moving (or Cltr-C for cloning) and Ctrl-V for pasting objects.

Created on Nov 14, 2022 11:09:54 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.