What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Best practice use of probes to reduce system load.

Votes:

Hi everyone,

I feel like my PRTG System is a little overloaded. The CPU and RAM usage is at 50% but still the overload protection kicks in (at least PRTG says that it does) and a few sensors got trouble receiving data.

I guess the problem here are the hundreds of WMI sensors we are using. To solve this, I thought about outsourcing the sensors of those systems by using Probes. That how every raises the question: What is the "best practice" to do this?

a.) Install an independent server with a probe to act like a satellite and collect Data from multiple other servers.

b.) Install a probe on each server itself to monitor that particular server.

c.) both or something else?

If the answer is b.) here is a follow up "issue": We have an exchange server and to monitor the DBs I have to use the Exchange-Database-Sensor (PowerShell). But I am not allowed to use this sensor (and probably some others too) since it requires an FQDN, but the probe seams monitor itself via IP (127.0.0.1), how can I work around that?

best overload practice probe prtg wmi

Created on Nov 7, 2022 2:59:50 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

I would recommend to choose option a). In this way you can split the load to multiple Remote Probes. In addition I would recommend to take a look at our guide for speeding up installations here.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Technical Support

Created on Nov 8, 2022 6:52:11 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.