What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Report downtime not accurate - export sensor data

Votes:

I can't for the heavenly sake of my life find a solution for the following issues..

I have a few systems which, unfortunately, stop working from time to time. They just "hang" till a user reboots the system. During this time no data is recorded. When I export the data, this downtime is not represented in the actual downtime statistics... Apparently PRTG records this is "no coverage". This I not what I bought PRTG for. How can I reliably export the statistics per remote probe, taking this not-useful "no coverage" into account while determining the downtime per probe?

In addition, I figured I'd be smart adding a sensor on the Windows event log by registered Event ID 6005 (event log start -> system reboot). How can I export this sensor data?

I am obviously doing something wrong or missing the whole point of PRTG. I just want to get some nice data out of it to present to my colleagues..

coverage probe prtg

Created on Nov 14, 2022 9:24:52 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please let me know whether you added limits to your Senors so they change to the "Down" state if the device stops working?
Regarding the Event Log Sensor, which data you want to export? The real event logs or the channel data?

Created on Nov 17, 2022 11:24:26 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Moritz,

Thanks for your reply. It is greatly appreciated.

I did not add limits to my sensors. I did enable notifications. Could you advise me on what channel I should put limits on so that they change to the "Down" state?

An example notification we get (which we also use to determine whether a system has had downtime) is:

------

Sensor Probe Health (Probe Health) *

Machine A > Machine A>

Probe Device (10.121.xxx.xxx)

New Status at 11/19/2022 1:29:00 AM (W. Europe Standard Time): Down (before: Unknown) Last Message: Probe disconnected (Disconnected) Last Scan: Last Up: Last Down: Uptime: Downtime: Coverage: Sensor Type: Interval: 0 s 111 s 0 s 100.0000% 0.0000% 97% Probe Health 30 s

-------

This message leads me to believe I should put limits on the Probe Health Sensor, right? If so, what would the best settings be if I want EVERY disconnect to be counted as downtime?

Thanks again, Reno

Created on Nov 20, 2022 10:51:31 PM

Votes:

Regarding the Event Log Sensor: I would like to export the channel data. I have a suspicion, though, it does not always catch the events I put a sensor on. Probably because of the disconnects I mentioned as well...

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks, Reno

Created on Nov 20, 2022 10:54:00 PM

Votes:

Hi Reno,

Thank you for the info.

Regarding the limits, the Probe Health Sensor should be automatically in the "Down" state if the Probe is disconnected. You can validate this by checking the "Logs" tab of the Sensor.

To export data from Sensors, I would recommend to use either the "Historic Data" Tab of the Sensor or to use our API which is documented below "Setup > PRTG API".

Created on Nov 21, 2022 6:23:49 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case. Here some extra details.

Please see the device sensor logs on pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/mDKtSNCW

Based on this data, we can deduce that there's a DOWNTIME of app. 13 hours (7.20 PM - 8.20 AM).

When I export the PROBE HEALTH data of this specific system, there is no DOWNTIME reported at all! Instead the disconnection is reported as UNKNOWN which is not acceptable for me. Every UNKNOWN status is a DOWNTIME for me. How can I reliably make uptime reports taking this into account?

See the pdf file (temporarily available on my NAS): https://naslooij.synology.me:5001/d/s/rG3Jrnxw4bY0qAWbI6wWqKUz7lmhO73f/XljhNPETJZaXGAXxl8gnjm0Q-5orcd0T-_7ggixVnAQo

Or if it is not possible to download/view the pdf, here some snippets of the report on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/BVYZQ7p

Please note the empty values in the table and the summary at the top and status summary at the bottom.

Thanks in advance,
Reno

Created on Nov 23, 2022 12:09:03 AM

Last change on Nov 23, 2022 7:34:27 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Reno,

This is quite strange since the Probe Health Sensor reported as down:

11/21/2022 7:24:58 PM
Probe Health Down
Probe disconnected (Disconnected)

At this point, a knowledge base post is not useful anymore. Therefore, please report the issue to the tech support via [email protected]. You can add this KB thread also as reference.

Created on Nov 23, 2022 7:39:39 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.