What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What does RDP sensor monitor?

Votes:

Hi,

We are using the RDP sensor to monitor a Terminal Server over the internet. Early this morning the TS was unreachable and yet we didn't get any warrning!. We need to know up to where this sensor “senses”.

Does it only monitor TCP port 3389 or is it possible to sense the TS service status on the server itself?

Thank you

prtg rdp tcp terminal-server

Created on Sep 23, 2010 7:24:07 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

The RDP Remote Desktop sensor connects to the specified port and checks if RDP services are available. It does not only monitor the port, as a Port sensor would do.

Created on Sep 24, 2010 12:30:13 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hi,

I would like more clarification on the "checks if RDP services are available". How does the sensor check if RDP services are available?

Thanks

Created on Sep 25, 2010 4:28:32 AM

Votes:

If you are looking to monitor a Windows Service like Terminal Services I suggest using the WMI Service sensor. When you add this sensor to your device it will provide you a list of Services to be monitored. Near the bottom of the list you will find "Terminal Services" check the box beside it.

Also, there is a way to monitor how many active Terminal Services users are on server. You use to be able to accomplish this through a custom WMI script in PRTG 7 but I think that the Paessler team may have built it in to a normal sensor now in version 8. It is really handy to know how many users are actively on a server when you are reviewing memory and cpu loads.

- Andrew

Created on Oct 16, 2010 6:28:35 PM

Votes:

I have another question related to the RDP sensor. When I configure it, I get values for the response time. The reponse time is the latency for the service takes to respond to a session request, am I right?

Created on Dec 28, 2010 5:38:32 AM

Votes:

Yes this should be correct.

Created on Dec 28, 2010 12:30:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am experiencing MS Sys Event 7011 where RDP services time-out and cause my Citrix servers to go unresponsive. Citrix is recommended I temp. pause my PRTG RDP sensors to rule this as a cause.

Created on Nov 3, 2015 1:14:54 PM

Votes:

Dear Iseeman

About the Citrix issue, please have a look at this article.

Created on Nov 4, 2015 4:45:38 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.