What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

6520 ProbeWMI> Error in TOctWMIConnectionList

Votes:

Hello Team,

we have the following problem: repeated increased CPU load by the PRTG Probe, on the PRTG Probe Server after a reboot.

We have analyzed all logs and found the following error message in the ProbeWMI LOG: 6520 ProbeWMI> Error in TOctWMIConnectionList.Execute: Access violation at address 00000000 in module 'PRTG Probe.exe'. Execution of address 00000000

this message did not occur after restarting the Probe services and also the CPU load normalized. I could not find any article about this error can you tell me what was the problem here?

We are running 23 PRTG probes with version 22.3.78.1873. The problem occurred only with this one probe.

probe toctwmiconnectionlist wmi

Created on Nov 22, 2022 11:50:38 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello Kim,

Thank you for contacting PRTG support.

I will highly recommend you update your PRTG version to the latest version we have released check PRTG stable versions it seems you are running an old version of PRTG (XYZ), so please update your PRTG installation to the latest software version as we have introduced numerous improvements and bug fixes since the version that you are currently running.

You can use the Auto-Update option Auto-Update

Alternatively, you can update your PRTG manually; on the following link you can find the installer for the latest version: https://downloads.paessler.com/prtg/prtg.zip

You can simply run the exe file directly over the version currently running. The configuration and database will not be affected by installing the newer version over the old and the configuration is automatically backed up before this process. Please note that the hosting machine may be restarted during the update process.

If the issue persists after the upgrade, I recommend you open a support case at [email protected] along with the following screenshots for better assist you on this issue.

Brand and model of the target Windows device you are trying to monitor? Is there any other WMI sensor working with that same device or does none of them work? Is there a firewall or antivirus in between the PRTG and the target device that may be blocking WMI? Please send a full screen Screenshot of the device Overview tab. Please send a full screen Screenshot of the Device Settings tab (please make sure to include the Windows configuration section). Please send a full screen screenshot of the sensor Overview tab. Please send a full screen screenshot of the sensor Settings tab. Please send a full screen screenshot of the sensor Log tab.

Please use our WMI Tester (https://www.paessler.com/tools/wmitester), run it on the PRTG Host (or a host of the Remote Probe where the sensors are) and scan against this particular target. Make sure to use the same user as PRTG. Usually, the "OS-Query" from the "Advanced" Tab of the tool works best.

Please send us the results. Additionally, please also see our extensive WMI Troubleshooting Guide: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1043-my-wmi-sensors-don-t-work-what-can-i-do

I hope this will hep you,

Regards

Created on Nov 25, 2022 4:53:30 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hello Kim,

Thank you for contacting PRTG support.

I will highly recommend you update your PRTG version to the latest version we have released check PRTG stable versions it seems you are running an old version of PRTG (XYZ), so please update your PRTG installation to the latest software version as we have introduced numerous improvements and bug fixes since the version that you are currently running.

You can use the Auto-Update option Auto-Update

Alternatively, you can update your PRTG manually; on the following link you can find the installer for the latest version: https://downloads.paessler.com/prtg/prtg.zip

You can simply run the exe file directly over the version currently running. The configuration and database will not be affected by installing the newer version over the old and the configuration is automatically backed up before this process. Please note that the hosting machine may be restarted during the update process.

If the issue persists after the upgrade, I recommend you open a support case at [email protected] along with the following screenshots for better assist you on this issue.

Brand and model of the target Windows device you are trying to monitor? Is there any other WMI sensor working with that same device or does none of them work? Is there a firewall or antivirus in between the PRTG and the target device that may be blocking WMI? Please send a full screen Screenshot of the device Overview tab. Please send a full screen Screenshot of the Device Settings tab (please make sure to include the Windows configuration section). Please send a full screen screenshot of the sensor Overview tab. Please send a full screen screenshot of the sensor Settings tab. Please send a full screen screenshot of the sensor Log tab.

Please use our WMI Tester (https://www.paessler.com/tools/wmitester), run it on the PRTG Host (or a host of the Remote Probe where the sensors are) and scan against this particular target. Make sure to use the same user as PRTG. Usually, the "OS-Query" from the "Advanced" Tab of the tool works best.

Please send us the results. Additionally, please also see our extensive WMI Troubleshooting Guide: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1043-my-wmi-sensors-don-t-work-what-can-i-do

I hope this will hep you,

Regards

Created on Nov 25, 2022 4:53:30 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.