What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PowerShell Remoting Requirements for Custom EXE/Script Advanced Sensor

Votes:

I've created a script for checking the TLS certificate assigned to an SMTP Relay server which supports SMTPS. The code is available here if that's of interest.

The documentation says that powershell remoting is required on the target system... but it's not clear what's meant by target; i.e. is that:

• The PRTG Core Server
  • The PRTG Probe Server on which the sensor is configured
  • All PRTG Probe Servers - The Device being monitored

My guess is that it's the device being monitored; but I don't want the script to be run on that device; I want it to be run on the probe, but for its result to show under the device (i.e. as I want to show the results when a client connects to the remote service, as part of the purpose of the sensor is to show the port is available externally).

## Questions:

• Could you confirm what servers require remoting to be enabled?
  • If the script is run on the device under which the probe's configured, is there a way to change this behaviour so I can run it from the probe whilst having the result show against the target device?

custom powershell prtg sensor

Created on Nov 24, 2022 5:11:12 PM

Last change on Nov 28, 2022 6:45:03 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

Yes powershell remoting is required on the target system which means the device which you want to query. However, the script will not be executed on the target system, it's executed on the server where the Probe is installed. But if you want to query the target device, your powershell code need to send a command to the remote device which allows this only if powershell remoting is enabled.

Created on Nov 28, 2022 6:47:22 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.