What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Linux Average Load on Multi-Socket Systems

Votes:

Hi there,

I would like to expand on this knowledge base article which goes into detail on how the results from Linux System Load Sensors like "SNMP Linux Load Average are to be interpreted: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/43993-what-is-the-load-on-linux-systems

According to this article the load value can surpass 1 and even higher numbers, if there are mutliple processing cores. But how does this sensor behave in systems with multiple Sockets, i.e. multiple CPU´s with each having multiple cores? Specifically I would like to get load data from a Citrix XenServer Host with 2 CPU Sockets, each having 24 cores. If the load value behaves the same, in my mind i´d have to add up all the available cores over all sockets, and as long as the load stays under that number or under 70% of that respectively the system is not overloaded. Or is it possible that the load value in this scenario now represents each socket, and in a two socket system it can now only max out at 2? I´m asking because the load from this specific host very rarely surpasses 1, that´s why I suspect the value is representing the socket count here rather than the actual core count.

Thanks for sheding some light on this.

linux prtg snmp

Created on Dec 14, 2022 9:08:39 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Matthias,

The SNMP Linux Load Average sensor does not actually calculate the average itself it queries a OID which provides the values for it. The OID that is being queried is "1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3". So how multiple CPUs are taken into account depends entirely on the system.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 19, 2022 7:27:11 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.