What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Look for a reminder sensor for physical devices

Votes:

Dear Team

We have multiple devices(Server, Storage, Firewall, Switch, Router, etc.) in our DC from different vendors/OEM's(HPE, IBM, Dell, Lenevo, Sun/Oracle, Cisco, Fortinet/Fortigate, Sophos, Checkpoint, Ruckus, Aruba, etc.).

All the vendors support their products upto certain period( 1 Year, 2 Year, 3 Years, 5 Years, etc.) when we buy a product and then we renew their AMC/Warranty as per our requirements.

Now from some vendors we get the warranty end date from the device itself, else we have to search with the serial number on their website to check the warranty status and we prepare the manual sheet.

I am looking for a customize sensor where we can add that sensor on all the physical devices for Example "Reminder" and we manually add the Warranty End Date on the sensor so that PRTG send a notification trigger on my email id that this products warranty is about to expire, please renew before it gets expire.

Just wanted to check, is this type of sensor is available with the version 22.2.76.1705+

or else please suggest what best we can do to fulfil the requirement.

Would really appreciate your response on the same so that i can plan things accordingly.

Thanks & Regards Manoj

reminder sensor warranty-end-date-notification

Created on Dec 26, 2022 10:16:34 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Manoj,

How can you check from your device the warranty end date? Can you pull this information via an API? If this is a numeric value which can be requested via an API, you may use our REST Custom v2 sensor. With this sensor you can create custom requests and display the received values. Once the sensor and the channels are created you can set limits to this sensor.
If you can pull this information about the end date via SNMP, I would recommend to use a SNMP Custom Advanced sensor to get this into PRTG.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Technical Support

Created on Dec 28, 2022 8:53:06 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So what we usually do, We have serial number and Product number of each device. Lets take an example of HPE

So we have a server HPE Proliant DL 360 Gen 10 and we have a serial number and product number, we go to website and login by our credentials, type in the serial number and from their we get to know the end date of our product.

Similarly we do it for all other vendors (IBM, Lenevo, etc..).

We maintain data in excel for all product warranty, however we will not be notified that the warranty is about to expire.

So thought if we can get help from PRTG, where we can have a custom sensor and we add warranty end date from excel on that sensor and we get a notification on our email id before due date.

Created on Dec 28, 2022 9:44:29 AM

Votes:

Hi Manoj,

If you maintain this in an excel sheet, I would recommend to create a EXE/Script Advanced sensor with a script which checks your file. This script need to return an outpout according to our manual. Maybe also this helps as a first starting point.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Technical Support

Created on Dec 29, 2022 7:55:26 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.