What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG, remote probes, and Dashboards

Votes:

Here is our use case. Maybe someone can tell me if I am going about this wrong or not. We are an ISP looking to put probes at each major pop site. I have been told if I put devices under each probe we can not have them in a single unified dashboard. Is this correct? Any documentation on using multiple probes and how dashboards work with them?

dashboard monitoring probe

Created on Dec 29, 2022 6:28:21 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi, thanks for your question.

Maps in PRTG let you display any object from your device tree - including devices from remote probes. So, in actual fact you can create a single unified dashboard. A great place to start with Maps is our step by step guide. Hope this helps :)

Created on Dec 30, 2022 2:48:07 PM by  Mike Payne [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi again, thanks for both of your questions here.

If an object or device exists in PRTG's device tree, then the chances are you can display it real-time in a dashboard. Maps are completely live, so any changes in your device tree will immediately be updated on your Map.

There should be no manual editing required, as again - if the new device is in your tree and your Map is reflecting the right probe, it will show up. As long as the remote probes are accessible by your core server, they will display in your dashboard.

Hope this helps :)

Created on Jan 20, 2023 3:51:58 PM by  Mike Payne [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for the replies. we are in the process of testing this. Our scenario is this

We have multiple towers. Let's say we have 3 towers. Each tower has a probe at it. Each tower has an auto-discovery subnet for customers. These subnets are unique to the tower. We want to take all 3 towers and put the 3 auto-discovered groups into one dashboard without having to do it manually.

Make sense?

Created on Jan 20, 2023 3:54:37 PM

Votes:

Yes, this should be possible to have all 3 auto discovery groups within one map. Please do let us know how you get on with your tests :)

Created on Jan 25, 2023 3:50:53 PM by  Mike Payne [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.