What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring a file

Votes:

Hello,

i have a Problem with monitoring a file on a network drive. Yesterday it works fine, but today PRTG says, that the file could not be found! It works with files on the local drive, and to network storage is also available...

Has anybody an idea?

file prtg wmi

Created on Sep 23, 2010 7:29:23 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Please see if any of the tipps for Share Monitoring does help. The symptoms and solutions for share-, folder- and file monitoring are often very similar.

Created on Sep 23, 2010 1:50:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the Link, but it was no solution for my problem. I can use the share on the NAS from any computer in the network, but PRTG says "File not found (pe008)"

So how can i monitor a network share like "z:\folder\file"? z:\ redirects to a NAS with the IP 192.168.x.x

/edit: found a solution to monitor the file on the direct way without using the network share on the server! Thanks for help...

Created on Oct 4, 2010 9:46:20 AM

Last change on Oct 4, 2010 5:02:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Maybe the PRTG Probe Service can't see the share when running under the "LOCAL SYSTEM" account. Please try running the PRTG Probe Service under your account.

Created on Oct 4, 2010 11:51:18 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.