What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Update Sensor not working on Windows Server 2022

Votes:

Hi! I've run into an issue with the Windows Update Sensor on Windows Server 2022. I get the following error in PRTG: Couldn't retrieve OS information. Resultset was empty. I've setup this server last week and never got the sensor working. When i look at the sensor logs i get following output:

Running script: Get-CimInstance Win32_OperatingSystem | Select-Object  Caption, InstallDate
2023-01-16 03:12:28,060 [DEBUG] - GetOSDetails Exception: Couldn't retrieve OS information. Resultset was empty.
2023-01-16 03:12:28,060 [DEBUG] - GetOSDetails ExceptionTrace:    at LastWindowsUpdateSensor.Program.GetOSDetails(Runspace runspace)
2023-01-16 03:12:28,060 [DEBUG] - Exception Message: Couldn't retrieve OS information. Resultset was empty.
2023-01-16 03:12:28,060 [DEBUG] - Exception Stack:    at LastWindowsUpdateSensor.Program.GetOSDetails(Runspace runspace)
   at LastWindowsUpdateSensor.Program.Main(String[] args)
But when I run "Get-CimInstance Win32_OperatingSystem | Select-Object  Caption, InstallDate" on the target machine, I get the following output:
Caption                                  InstallDate
-------                                  -----------
Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Datacenter 13.01.2023 22:25:23

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

prtg windows-update winrm

Created on Jan 17, 2023 10:05:03 AM

Last change on Jan 18, 2023 11:34:14 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Are the Probe, running the sensor, and the target device in the same domain?
Do you use a domain admin for the credentials?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 19, 2023 8:04:00 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi No, both devices are in a workgroup. I've created a custom admin user on the target device with permission to Remote into a PowerShell Session.

Created on Jan 21, 2023 11:42:43 PM

Votes:

Did you enable the option "Negotiate authentication" in the sensor settings?
You will also need to make some configurations on the probe and target device, more details about this can be found in Point 2.2 of the following article: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/71899-facing-issues-with-the-windows-updates-status-powershell-sensor-can-you-help-me

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 23, 2023 8:51:17 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, i did that and as far as I can see, the login works fine. It's jutst that it can't read out the OS Information.

Created on Jan 26, 2023 7:54:33 PM

Votes:

I would suggest that you open a support ticket regarding this issue.

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 30, 2023 8:12:17 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.