What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

writing custom lookup for bitfield network port state

Votes:

I have read a very good article about decoding the port state on a linux system of a network bond. The informations are encoded as bitfield: https://movingpackets.net/2017/10/17/decoding-lacp-port-state/

BitName
0LACP_Activity
1LACP_Timeout
2Aggregation
3Synchronization
4Collecting
5Distributing
6Defaulted
7Expired

I want to write a custom lookup for this port states. But i do not know where to start. I read some article that was doing like:

<BitField state="Ok" value="1">No Alarm</BitField>
<BitField state="Warning" value="2">Far end LOF</BitField>

But in my lookup it should warn in several conditions of several bits on different positions. For example is bit 7 is set to expired (1) or when bit 5 is set to no (0). How to tell PRTG which bit position is meant?

bitfield custom lookup

Created on Jan 24, 2023 6:49:54 AM

Last change on Jan 24, 2023 8:43:37 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Dear customer

Thank you for contacting PRTG support,

Regarding your request, this manual will help you with this request Website you can instead of giving the bit position, you have to give the bit value (using 0), so 0 maps to 0, 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 3 to 8, 4 to 16, 5 to 32 and so on

I hope this will help

Created on Jan 27, 2023 8:20:10 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.