What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ping different device interface

Votes:

I need to monitor multiple interfaces for a number of devices (NAS, virtualization hosts, etc). Is there a way I can tell the ping sensor to use an address other than the primary address for the device? Is there a better way to do this?

network ping prtg

Created on Jan 25, 2023 4:25:29 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, do you want to monitor different components all on the same device? You should be able to add a sensor and then search for whatever you want to monitor on that device.

Created on Jan 26, 2023 11:34:34 AM

Votes:

Sorry for the confusion. I have several devices that have multiple network cards in them using multiple IP addresses. For instance, for each ESXi server, we have interfaces for management, vm networking, iscsi, etc. I need to be able to monitor these different network cards but the ping sensor seems to only allow me to monitor the main IP associated with the parent device. How can I monitor these other IP addresses without having to create a ton of extra device instances to cover these other addresses?

Created on Jan 26, 2023 4:06:12 PM

Votes:

You should be able to add the ip address as a new device on it's own. Might make thing look a bit messy, but as far as I know this is the only way to get ping requests if you have multiple network cards. I am new to prtg, but if I am understanding correctly this should work.

Created on Jan 30, 2023 7:38:04 AM

Votes:

@lonewaffle,

As Samueldp already mentioned, you would need to set up a new device for each IP. The Ping sensor will always only ping the address of the device it is on.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 30, 2023 7:53:06 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The Owner of the Website https://prtgtoolsfamily.com designed a custom sensor called "StatisticalPingXML" with these sensor you can monitor different IP-Adresses with one sensor. I have tested and use this sensor in some usecases without no problems But.... This is not supported by Paessler and you use this on your own risk.

Best regards Christof

Created on Mar 16, 2023 7:40:01 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.