What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTGProbeService won't start (specified file not found)

Votes:

Hello,

The PRTGProbeService has stopped with no evident reason.

It cannot be restarted manually as I get the following error message: Specified file not found.

I have restarted the core server ando our 2 probe servers without success.

The issue is occuring on one probe only, Core Server and other probe are running OK.

Thanks for help,

Thomas Williamson

probe prtg service

Created on Feb 1, 2023 9:11:16 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Have you tried to reinstall the probe?
You can download the installer for a remote probe from the PRTG web interface under Setup>Optional Downloads>Remote Probe Installer. Just run the installer as a administrator over your existing remote probe installation.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 2, 2023 2:04:14 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

The issue has just been resolved. I was about to let you know. Our internal antivirus had quarantined the exe file launched by the probe service. We have added an exclusion for this file and the probe is now back to life!

Thanks again for your help and sorry for disturbing.

Thomas

Created on Feb 2, 2023 2:11:56 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.