What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Intermittent Sensors

Votes:

We have about 9 different sites we monitor using ping and traffic sensors. We have been using ping sensors on one for a few months and recently added traffic sensors to 2 of the 16 switches. Since adding those two All of the sensors are randomly intermittent. Logs state no connection. It only affects the sensors "behind" the firewall. The only one not affected is the ping to the firewall. Due to everything working fine before I was thinking this could just be overloaded, but after adjusting the scanning interval to 5 minutes the issue persisted. Any thoughts?

The switches we are using are Alcatel Lucent 6465 and 6865 omniswitches if that makes a difference, but I don't see why it would even if it was an issue with SNMP it shouldn't affect everything else.

intermittent prtg traffic-sensors

Created on Feb 2, 2023 1:00:15 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I do not entirely understand the issue. You mentioned that you had only Ping sensors on the two switches, and the issues started since you added the SNMP Traffic sensors. However you then mentioned that all other sensors stopped working as well (only Ping not being affected).

Do you have any other sensors on the device beside Ping and SNMP Traffic?
What error do the sensors report?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 7, 2023 9:20:56 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, all sensors including ping stopped working and reported no connection. After removing all of the traffic sensors and only having the ping sensors the issue persisted.

Created on Feb 7, 2023 2:59:51 PM

Votes:

I would suggest that you open a support ticket for this issue so that we can take a closer look at it.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 9, 2023 8:40:23 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.