What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Raisecom GPON ONTONU monitoring

Votes:

Hi there,

I have Raisecom OLT switches installed in our POP's. Each interface has a fibre connection to a 64 splitter. And each of the splitter ports goes to one of our clients on our network. So in theory, each PON interface can have up to 64 clients connected. I need to be able to monitor the bandwidth and speed of each GPON ONT/ONU on the client premises.

The problem I have is that on PRTG, I am only able to monitor the 4 OLT interfaces and not each of the 64 splitter fibers that connect to the GPON ONU/OLT at the client.

How can I get PRTG to pick these client ONU/OLT. Is there custom OID or mibs that I can add to PRTG to allow it to monitor these devices?

Regards

prtg raisecom snmp

Created on Feb 16, 2023 1:35:31 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

if your OLT is exposing this metric via SNMP then PRTG can surely monitor that.
Your vendor should be able to provide you with a MIB for your OLT that acts as a translation table between the values and their respective uses.

To have vendors MIBs available in PRTG, please use our MIB Importer utility to convert it into an OID Library. With the MIB Importer you also get a tree view for the OIDs where you can see whats included.

As the splitters for GPON are passive we won't be able to retrieve data from them. If the ONTs you use as the CPE support SNMP and are accessible to a probe host (e.g. through a management VLAN) you could also monitor them directly.

Kind regards,
Johannes Beyerlein, Technical Support Team

Created on Feb 21, 2023 2:27:00 PM by  Johannes Beyerlein [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.