What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Email Alerting - Active Directory User

Votes:

Hi - We have gone from using local accounts to Active Directory authentication , however our alerting has now stopped working . I created a user group called "my user group" and I show in it under the "primary group", when I go to notifications we have a notification template but cannot add "my user group" to it and even if i create a new notification template still cannot add "my user group", the only option is a predefined group called "PRTG User Group" .

Seems crazy complicated way of doing things and not at all easy to understand :-(

email notification templates

Created on Mar 2, 2023 7:31:46 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

This is very likely due to the way groups are handled in PRTG. There are two types, native ones and AD synced ones. The main gripe is that you cannot mix the two and native users cannot be in AD groups / vice versa.

Basically, you'll need to delete the native users in PRTG and update the notifications to use the AD users / groups. PRTG doesn't like two account types with the same mail address :)

Note that you don't need to create users in AD groups. They are created upon the first login of the corresponding user. So if you created a group that uses the IT Administration AD group, have all of your colleagues log in at least once to have the corresponding user created.

Created on Mar 20, 2023 12:22:41 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.