What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to automatically assign a device to a library or something similar

Votes:

We have created an abc analysis for our devices. Now all devices of category A should execute sms and teams notifications after a certain time. Category B should execute only teams and mail after a certain time and category C only mails.

I have already built notification templates for the different categories.

Now I want to put these templates on three libraries (a,b,c,) and automatically assign the devices of the respective category to the library, so that the devices then send a notification.

Can I do something like this or does anyone have another idea how to handle this automatically when a new device is created?

We have many devices and I don't want to handle each device individually with a respective template.

automation notification prtg template

Created on Mar 13, 2023 8:03:05 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi René,

With our Libraries feature the focus is on creating a new ways to organize your sensors. If you filter your Library according to tags it will be also updated automatically. To achieve this, you will find a guide here: https://www.paessler.com/support/how-to/libraries

However this feature can also be used to create new device overviews. Unfortunately the automatic update of the Library in regards of devices is not possible.

I would recommend to focus on sensors to achieve your goal.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Mar 16, 2023 7:18:36 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix,

i was afraid of something like this :) So you would recommend me to focus on the sensors and configure the notification one by one?

Created on Mar 16, 2023 12:18:14 PM

Votes:

Hi René,

I would recommend to focus on the sensors and create libraries according to tags which are assigned to different sensors. These tags can also be inherited.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Technical Support

Created on Mar 16, 2023 3:00:22 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.