What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SSL Certificate Sensor shows wrong data (may from the demo certs?)

Votes:

Hello,

I have setup two ssl certificate monitor sensors. With today the montired certifates shold expire within 21 days but the sensors still show 94 days (which seems to be the expiration date of the prtg demo certificate?). The sensor result shows that the test ist performed against the demo certificate instead of the entered sni (OK. Certificate Common Name: PRTG Demo Certificate - Certificate Thumbprint: 19BEBA7BBDFB15B7FD24C04BE0AE2EF9131BC702)

Has anyone an idea what is wrong? And how the force PRTG to use the configured SNI for the sensor test?

Thanks and greetings,

chris

certificate demo prtg ssl

Created on Apr 3, 2023 6:16:57 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Do I understand you correctly that you are monitoring the certificate that is used in PRTG?
Did you import your own certificate into PRTG instead of the demo one?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 7, 2023 4:47:07 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sasa,

thank you for your reply. No, I am monitoring the certificate of a foreign web server under Virtual Host (SNI). The handbook states that the sensor "SSL CERTIFICATE SENSOR" will check the certificate under port and sni. But the systen seems to check the local demo certificate only..

Greetings

Chris

Created on Apr 7, 2023 5:39:47 AM

Votes:

Hi, I found the probelm I was thinking that the PRTG Server is performing the probe as target device but that was wrong. I had to create a device for the web server. Now the Sensor is working a expected.

Thanks.

Chris

Created on Apr 7, 2023 5:48:06 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.