What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Add SSH-Script Sensor: UI does not show shell script

Votes:

I'm trying to monitor an Ubuntu Server 18.04.4 LTS. The normal SSH disk space sensor works in general but displays all the snap volumes as a seperate filesystem. Even the ones that are no longer available.

I found a shell script here in the KB (https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/91016-how-do-i-prevent-ssh-disk-free-monitoring-ubuntu-snap-partititons#reply-316191), I wanted to try to implement to change this behavior.

I created the script, put it on the linux server I want to monitor under /var/prtg/scriptsxml, checked that the permissions are ok and it's executable but it does not show up in the drop down field in the "Add new Sensor: SSH Script Extended" (I'm using a german verion of PRTG, so the Sensor could be named slightly different in english) where I can usually choose the script to execute (in other Sensor types for Windows for example).

We usually only monitor Windows systems. This is one of the first Linux system I'm trying to integrate in our monitoring so the problem could well be ... me. :-)

Since other SSH Sensors are working and I provided the security credentials for my linux system on the device level, I'm pretty confident, that the credentials shouldn't be the problem.

I read the manual (https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/ssh_script_advanced_sensor) again, but did not find anything helpful.

scripts ssh ui

Created on Apr 3, 2023 8:23:14 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

the setup seems to be fine. To exclude any access rights issue, please login with the in PRTG used user and check whether you can see the path and the file.

Created on Apr 7, 2023 5:55:37 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the answer!

I can login to the Linux box, cd to the script directory...

/var/prtg/scriptsxml

... and start the script with the credentials provided. The output of the script XML is then written on the screen (STDOUT). So that seems to work just fine.

Any other ideas?

Created on Apr 17, 2023 6:57:01 AM

Votes:

Thank you for the update.

Please let me know whether you can add another standard SSH Sensor on this device? In this way we can check the general connection between the device and the PRTG Probe.

Created on Apr 20, 2023 7:29:40 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.