What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How To Auto-Close Tickets

Votes:

OK, this is something going back to 2017. That's six years and counting now.

The ticketing system built into PRTG. Can't speak for others, but I don't want it or need it in my life and it's something that casts a shadow over an otherwise excellent piece of software. Before you suggest it, I've made repeated "Feature Requests" to turn this off to no effect.

For some reason, despite six years of effort, we can't turn off the tickets. Fine. Then how do I auto-close all generated tickets so the auto-purge kicks in?

In the past, we were told to set Historic Data Purging to a minimal level. That's great, I set mine to 1 day. However, this only covers closed tickets are they not closing automatically. Software updates, .NET updates, Email sending errors, sensor deprecation, web server alerts, etc. are always there and Open. They pile up over time and need to be manually purged. It's a pain in the rear. This morning I purged 1500+ and as I can only list 100 at a time in the web interface, that took fifteen x select all and then close. I have better things to do with my time than maintaining a system I do not want in the first place.

I need a method to close ALL tickets as soon they are created so my auto-purge kicks in and gets rid of them after a day.

Ideally, I'd like to turn tickets creation off completely. Creating a process to close / delete a ticket seems just a bit silly.

PRTG is amazing software, but ticketing is an abrasive 'feature' that has zero value for me.

Thank you.

prtg question tickets

Created on Apr 3, 2023 1:29:02 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

You could schedule a script that would retrieve the open tickets and close them (on a daily basis), and then let the Historic Data Purging delete the closed tickets. A example script for this can be found here.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 7, 2023 6:26:08 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.