What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI sensors on Windows 11 22H2

Votes:

I noticed the guides about WMI for PTRG and windows are quite old, still talking about work around to make WMI work on a Windows XP / 2003 server. A lot has changed since then, 20 years has passed and the guides have not reflected these changes.

Is there a reason in specific applicable to Windows 11 why it cannot be monitored in PRTG using WMI? Every time I try to add a WMI sensor, it gets stuck on "Preparing sensor settings..." and never goes anywhere. There is no error stating credentials wrong, or something is not responding or any timeout.

It is a workgroup test device running as local admin, I've disabled firewall, added the user to DCOM and perform mon, no joy. Credentials have already been triple checked.

Could the documentation be updated to reflect how to monitor a Windows 11 device via WMI please?

windows windows-11 wmi

Created on Apr 13, 2023 11:38:39 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello, Alex
Thanks for reaching us,
We don't have documentation that will explicitly deny WMI sensors to work on Windows 11 machines.
Please feel free to open a ticket with us to assist further with this issue https://www.paessler.com/contact

Created on Apr 18, 2023 3:53:22 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Votes:

I was hoping I could get some help here on the topic as I use this for a home lab to build up my understanding about PRTG, I've no support contract with you guys. When I checked to open a ticket, it asked for a work email address.

Created on Apr 19, 2023 9:06:34 PM

Votes:

Alex
Our support is "free" for freeware customers below 100 sensors.
If this is a home lab, chances are that you have a freeware license. If you need to check your credentials you can use our WMI tester (https://www.paessler.com/tools/wmitester), run it on the PRTG Host (or a host of the Remote Probe) and scan against this particular target. Usually, the "OS-Query" from the "Advanced" Tab of the tool works best. Make sure to use the same credentials configured at the device level in PRTG

Created on Apr 20, 2023 7:55:45 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Last change on Apr 20, 2023 7:56:09 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.