What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Meraki Dashboard sensor not working

Votes:

Sometime around April 1, my Cisco Meraki Network Health (BETA) sensor stopped working and returns the following error:

"The sensor could not get a response from the server. 0 (). schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: SEC_E_ILLEGAL_MESSAGE (0x80090326) - This error usually occurs when a fatal SSL/TLS alert is received (e.g. handshake failed). More detail may be available in the Windows System event log."

I am wondering if anyone else is seeing this. I tried generating a new API key and re-creating the sensor but the same error is produced. I am not sure if Meraki changed something and since this sensor is in BETA it is just broke for now :(

api beta meraki

Created on Apr 17, 2023 6:51:23 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Where there any changes to PRTG prior to the issue appearing?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 24, 2023 6:08:02 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The Dashboard API version 1.32 was release right around when this sensor went into error (4/1/23). Release notes here: https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/whats-new/#!v1-32-0

The update looks minor but there was a change to organization-level device listing response - additional property added.

I can reach out to Meraki with a specific question if that will help?

Created on Apr 24, 2023 12:07:50 PM

Votes:

Same error here, since PRTG upgrade to 23.2.83.1760 Ticket open, now waiting for solution by Paessler engineering.

Created on Apr 27, 2023 2:41:35 PM

Votes:

Exact same issue here - have you had any response to your ticket? I've just upgraded to 23.2.83.1760 today, about to log a ticket also.

Created on May 10, 2023 5:50:36 AM

Votes:

Cause found: PRTG is running on a Windows Server 2012 R2, wich can not handle newer TLS ciphers used by the Meraki sensor. But Server 2012 R2 is officialy still supported by Paessler PRTG. Solution: Migration to a newer Windows Server. Other Solution? Waiting for feedback from engineering.

Created on May 10, 2023 8:41:12 AM

Votes:

The same issue here. have you any response ? Thanks

Created on Jul 3, 2023 12:12:44 AM

Votes:

We have developed a fix for this issue, it is planned to release it in the PRTG version 23.x.86 which is scheduled for end of July. A preview of this version will be available this week, so you can update to it, if you need the fix sooner.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 4, 2023 9:46:31 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.