What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote probe or sensor for Cloud based VM

Votes:

Hi everyone, i'm currently trying to implement PRTG (Migrate Centreon to PRTG) in a environment with different network with one of there is in OVH cloud (those machine are a website split on different service like haproxy, sso, etc..).

We have a remote access to all different machine via ssh (all of them are linux based) which we can administrate and supervise with our actual Centreon witch ssh sensor on it.

My point here is to determinate what can be done, what would be the most efficient ? Transfer those script to PRTG (which cleary say that SSH sensor use a lot of ressources), create a Windows Probe with a simple TLS link trought or firewall to our PRTG Core and setup SNMP on the probe (I have tried this with our industrial network and it is working fine!) or other solution that I am missing or does not know yet ?

Any feedback on the topics will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cloud probe snmp

Created on Apr 18, 2023 9:25:49 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Philemon,

The best solution which fits to your scenario which I would suggested would be to use Remote Probes. In this way you can ensure that the monitoring is done in the right network and you don't need to take care of all the connection settings besides the one from Probe to Core Server.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Technical Support

Created on Apr 25, 2023 7:03:27 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.