What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

"EXE/Script Advanced" - The target host does not respond. (code: PE002) - but script is working

Votes:

This sensor runs a batch file. The batch file gathers some data, writes that data to a text file, then outputs the contents of the text file for prtg to work with.

Sensor worked fine until a few days ago. I've rebooted the server but it still errors out. Other exe and http sensors work fine.

Here is the batch file:

@echo off
cd "\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXEXML"
call ookla_run.bat>ookla_speedtest.log
type ookla_speedtest.log

And here is the ookla_speedtest.log content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?>
<prtg>
   <result>
       <channel>Download</channel>
       <float>1</float>
       <value>299.17</value>
   </result>
   <result>
       <channel>Upload</channel>
       <float>1</float>
       <value>369.11</value>
   </result>
   <result>
       <channel>Latency</channel>
       <float>1</float>
       <value>3.86</value>
   </result>
   <result>
       <channel>Jitter</channel>
       <float>1</float>
       <value>0.20</value>
   </result>
   <text>Bandwidth Stats Tue 04/25/2023  9:19:31.73</text>
</prtg>

I know PRTG is executing the script because the date and time change in ookla_speedtest.log. And if there was a problem with the script I'd expect it to show up in ookla_speedtest.log. Yet ookla_speedtest.log looks like it always has. Yet for some reason the sensor is giving that PE002 error.

I can post the code for ookla_run.bat but I didn't feel it was necessary. It just runs speedtest.exe from ookla, then parses the data to the outputted xml format. Most of that batch file is just xml formatting which you can see in the ookla_speedtest.log file.

For what it's worth manually running speedtest.exe from the prtg server itself works fine.

error exe prtg

Created on Apr 25, 2023 1:29:28 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

I would suggest that you open a support ticket for this issue, so that we can have a closer look at it.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on May 2, 2023 8:40:04 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.