What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Recurring SNMP Error -2003

Votes:

Hi all

Read a lot concerning this error, but didn't stumble upon the exact same behaviour. I have a couple of HPE iLO's which I monitor over simple SNMP over the default port and a normal public community. All of them are configured the exact same. Pretty basic stuff...

All are working exept two, which flip between "okay" and the above mentioned error. The config is around one year old and worked fine, no changes were made and now I suddenly get this error here and there.

Any idea why this occurs or what I could do about it?

Thanks in advance

2003 check error firewall hpe ilo prtg snmp

Created on Apr 27, 2023 3:06:23 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

the timeout can be set at the same section where you configure the SNMP credentials. This leads to the question, did you configure those in the first place?

It can be done on a per-device basis, or entered in higher-ranked objects like device-group or probe, also on the respective "Settings" tab.

Created on May 3, 2023 4:52:31 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

the error "-2003" means the device either does not respond within timeout, or not at all. An overloaded SNMP agent could be one of the causes.

The first thing would be to increase the timeout from 5 to 10 or 15 seconds in the SNMP settings of the PRTG device objects. If there are still problems the question is, does it help to restart the Ilo in order to have the sensors stable again?

Created on May 2, 2023 8:51:53 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne

Thanks for your reply! I wanted to try your tip about increasing the timeout, but I am not able to find this value in the objects settings... Could you specify where exactly I need to change this? And could I change this timeout globally for all objects?

Thanks again

Created on May 2, 2023 9:13:02 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

the timeout can be set at the same section where you configure the SNMP credentials. This leads to the question, did you configure those in the first place?

It can be done on a per-device basis, or entered in higher-ranked objects like device-group or probe, also on the respective "Settings" tab.

Created on May 3, 2023 4:52:31 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne

Thank you! Yes I did configure the SNMP credentials but it would've never occured to me to check there for the timeout. Anyway, it works like a charm now, thank you!

Created on May 4, 2023 5:55:50 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.