What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

create sensor template from custom sensor

Votes:

Hi,

I create an custom sensor which monitor my debian security updates. Now I want to paste the sensor to all other debian machine which I monitore.

Is there a way to create an template from our sensor?

Bye

Gregor

custom sensor template

Created on May 8, 2023 12:31:38 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Gregor,

You can use device templates. Right click on the device with the working sensor > Create Device Template Name the device template and select the sensors you want to include on the template. Then use the Auto-Discovery with template on other devices you want to add the same sensors.

Reference guide here https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/create_device_template

Created on May 9, 2023 2:11:07 PM by  Mitzi Rodriguez [Paessler support]

Votes:

OK, that work.

Now I search for editing the template. Could I perform it over the Webgui or did I've to manage it over the OS folder path with an editor.

It would be fine, if the sensors will paused after scanning, or when the script which is requested not in the folder.

Created on May 10, 2023 7:08:12 AM

Votes:

Correct! You can find the template under C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\devicetemplates and modify it with an editor.

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/5833-how-to-edit-device-templates-that-i-create

Created on May 15, 2023 4:13:52 PM by  Mitzi Rodriguez [Paessler support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.