What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI & Citrix VDA not working anymore

Votes:

Hi Guys,

I have a strange behavior since end of January and the support cannot help me anymore. My WMI sensors (mostly disk logical disk sensor v2) do not work after some time.

I have some Citrix VDA servers (Windows 2019 up to dates - One month delay, Citrix 1912 CU6 and CU7). The only thing that I have with WMI checks is the disk sensors, built by PRTG directly. It helps us to monitor mainly I/O, Read/Write time...

But after some random times (it could be few hours / few days), the WMI sensors stop working with these errors:

• Connection could not be established (code: PE015)
  • The WMI request has unrecoverably timed out. To resolve this issue, consider pausing or deleting the sensor. For more information, see https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1093. (code: PE051)

If I restart the WMI windows service on my VDA servers, it works again. If I tried to use the WMI tester during the outage, the program just hangs and after 30 minutes gives me a random error. If I do the same query during the outage from the same user and from the probe with powershell (Get-WmiObject -Namespace "root\cimv2" -Class Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfDisk_LogicalDisk for exemple), it works well all the time.

The support does not understand what happen and want me to use only snmp. however SNMP does not monitor I/O and stuff like this.

I don't know what I can do and why PRTG does not want to investigate further espacially when it's working well with Powershell.

We built a complete new Probe, tried this workaround (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5004442-manage-changes-for-windows-dcom-server-security-feature-bypass-cve-2021-26414-f1400b52-c141-43d2-941e-37ed901c769c) but nothing works.

Do you encounter the same thing or am i alone on this one ?

Thanks for your feedback.

citrix prtg wmi

Created on May 10, 2023 9:33:20 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Roman
Do you have a ticket with Tech support? If so, please let me know. If not, please feel free to open a ticket to further evaluate this with the proper documentation.

Created on May 22, 2023 11:27:35 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Votes:

Yes since two months. But we are doing the same level 1 test since the beginning. This is my ticket subject: Re: [#XXXXX] Critical Issue (URGENT): WMI timeout / error (205) (Upset)

Thanks for you help and your fresh look on my issue.

Created on May 23, 2023 6:24:15 AM

Last change on May 30, 2023 8:15:23 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It seems like there is some progress on your ticket, I would encourage you to check your Mailbox, or Spam folder to continue working on this

Created on May 29, 2023 7:17:13 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.