What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

"An internal exception has occurred" error while installing or updating PRTG

Votes:

When installing the trial version of PRTG Network Monitor I get the error "An internal exception has occurred (Address: 0xedfd3b) Please, contact yoursite@yoursite,com. Thank you!" I get this message after it get's to the screen where it is initializing License. The same message comes up twice then I get "License not found"

error installation license prtg trial update

Created on May 17, 2023 10:55:08 PM

Last change on May 18, 2023 5:48:17 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

We have seen that error recently with some customers. When PRTG is updating or installing it runs the prtglicensecheck.exe program, which is protected by Themida. Themida can sometimes be blocked by an antivirus, especially Cylence. Can you disable any antivirus on the system so it doesn't scan or lock those processes while updating or installing PRTG?

I updated the topic name just so others can find this more easily.

Created on May 18, 2023 5:47:22 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.