What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

My WMI sensors don't work after installing Microsoft Update KB5004442. What should I do?

Votes:

Microsoft Update KB5004442 changes the existing authentication rules and I'm having trouble with my WMI sensors. What steps should I take to make the WMI sensors work again?

dcom prtg windows wmi

Created on May 19, 2023 9:50:44 AM by  Fruzsina Ébelle [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 5, 2023 12:40:15 PM by  Fruzsina Ébelle [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 23

My WMI sensors don't work after installing Microsoft Update KB50004442. What should I do?

If you recently installed Windows Update KB50004442, you might be affected by hardening changes. Microsoft recently rolled out a patch that hardens the DCOM authentication, which can cause authentication login attempts to fail.

In our experience, the issue should be fixed if all updates are installed on the PRTG core server system as well as on the target system. Alternatively, you can follow these steps as a workaround:

1. Connect to the remote system via the WMI command-line tool:
    wmic /privileges:enable /implevel:impersonate /authlevel:pktintegrity /node:"HOSTNAME" /user:"DOMAIN\USER" /password:"PASSWORD" computersystem get totalphysicalmemory
  2. Change the default authentication level in the DCOM configuration tool, as well as on the probe system:
    1. Run dcomcnfg to open the DCOM console.
    2. Open Component Services | Computers | My Computer.
    3. Right-click My Computer and choose Properties from the context menu.
    4. Open the Default Properties tab.
    5. Change Default Authentication Level to Packet Integrity. ​

The change should normally be effective immediately, otherwise restart the system.

We hope this helped resolve the issues you had.

More

Created on May 19, 2023 9:51:52 AM by  Fruzsina Ébelle [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 6, 2023 11:01:28 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.