What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor a file content with differd words

Votes:

Hi, I need to monitor a log file for different words. The log file exists on every server in our environment. I have already tried with the file content sensor. It finds the words as I need with the regular expression. However, I can't define that it sets the status to error when a certain word appears. I tried with lookups, but failed there too.

It is a normal .log file. I need to monitor: Scheduled event 'Server name' completed successfully. ANS1512E Scheduled event 'Server name' failed.

If the expression ANS1512E appears, I need an error message.

Does anyone have experience with this?

file file-content prtg

Created on Aug 7, 2023 6:38:06 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi, I have experienced something similar, where we do a daily check for usernames in the security eventlog. The eventlog sensor has a major impact on the environment, so to avoid that, we ran a powershell script on the local server on a scedule, and that information was picked up by a powershell sensor rasing an alarm if there were specific user names present. How often do you want to do the check and how much text is needed to go through?

Created on Sep 29, 2023 7:36:52 AM

Votes:

Hello Tobias,

Thank you for using PRTG.

I will contact you via Email to expound further on what's required to achieve the required result.

Best Regards,

Jeremiah Katatumba - Technical Support

Created on Oct 10, 2023 8:20:25 AM by  Jeremiah Katatumba

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.