What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probe using TLS V1

Votes:

I am downloading a remote Probe installer from the management server for a Windows 2019 Standard server. In the web management, I set it to use the strong security TLS option, and even set the host OS to use TLS v1.3 by default by editing Windows registry settings.

The remote probe continues to still try and use TLS v1. How can I get it to use a stronger TLS version?

remote-probe tls windows

Created on Sep 11, 2023 1:19:22 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

On the probe's end, there are usually no settings for this, at least not as far as the remote probe configuration is concerned.

What PRTG version are you using?
Starting from version 18.3.44, PRTG will allow disabling the TLS versions through the interface, including for the probe connection. Make sure you have it configured properly on the PRTG server's end. You may do this by log in to the PRTG web interface, go to Setup | System Administrations. In the PRTG Web Server section, go to Connection Security and select High security (TLS 1.3, TLS 1.2). With the High security (TLS 1.3, TLS 1.2) setting, the PRTG core server only accepts high security connections from probes.

Kind regards,
Muna Azmi - Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 14, 2023 5:39:18 AM by  Muna Azmi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

When I run the remote probe installer locally on the probe server, it only tries to reach out to the PRTG host server with TLSv1, and continues to re-try and fail every 30 seconds or so.

There is likely a firewall in the path blocking TLSv1 as it's not received on the PRTG host server.

I can successfully log into the web interface and TLSv1.3 is used.

I've got packet captures on both the remote host and PRTG host for both situations.

Created on Oct 2, 2023 1:02:34 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.