What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to restore custom HTML and text notifications after upgrade to v8?

Votes:

First, was the upgrade from v7 to v8 supposed to wipe out our (highly) customized HTML and text notifications? There was no warning that we'd lose this data. We had done extensive customizations to both notification types to meet our needs but the upgrade replaced them with something new and much less useful (And much more cluttered).

Is there a way to restore the original settings we had in these fields without resorting to recreating them from scratch?

Also, I would suggest placing a warning in the v8 manual that these fileds will be overwritten so others who have customized them will not lose their hard work.

alerts custom-notification upgrade

Created on Sep 23, 2010 5:32:13 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Jim,

if you go to "Setup"->"System Administration"->"System & Website"->"Email Options" and there select the option to use the "old V7-Templates", does this bring back your customized templates?

Best Regards.

Created on Sep 23, 2010 6:15:34 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No. That only brings back the original HTML email header and footer (that we had modified). What we would like to restore is the custom notification content set in the individual notifications under "account settings -> Notifications". We had customized 6 different notifications (txt and HTML for three different groups of users). We completely re-written with data and format that best suits our needs.

Is there a way to restore these fields?

Created on Sep 23, 2010 6:45:39 PM

Votes:

I was incorrect. Yes, changing the setting you mentioned not only changes the HTML header and footer but it also returns all of the individual notifications to their original state. I can use this information to keep the new HTML format but easily change the content and more importantly, restore the text notifications to what we had created.

I should have paid more attention when I changed the setting earlier. And I should have realized that you guys had already thought ahead to this situation, as usual. I wish my other software vendors were so prescient.

Thanks for the tip.

Created on Sep 23, 2010 6:52:48 PM

Last change on Sep 24, 2010 3:21:38 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.